No one wants to be involved in an accident, especially whilst at work. However, accidents can and will happen. There is no way to avoid them entirely. In the unfortunate event that one occurs in the workplace, the best way to protect yourself financially is by hiring a good workplace personal injury lawyer.
Being involved in an accident can be incredibly damaging to the injured party. They may lose the capacity to work, either temporarily or permanently, while also suffering from severe pain. They might need medical treatment indefinitely, depending on the severity of their case. Further, they could suffer from emotional distress, loss of companionship, or worse, loss of life.
Lawyers specialising in personal injury can help the injured person get the proper compensation for their losses.
How to Find the Right Personal Injury Lawyer
To get the compensation you deserve, you need a suitable lawyer to inform you about your rights. Of all the many options you have for a personal injury lawyer, finding the right lawyer can be intimidating. Here are some points to consider when looking for the best personal injury lawyer to work with:
Step 1: Look for Personal Recommendations
The best way to find a well-versed lawyer in the field of personal injury is to look for recommendations. Ask your family, friends, and workmates if they have worked with or know a personal injury lawyer. A personal recommendation often means that they had a good experience and an opinion from someone in your life may mean more to you than an anonymous online review.
However, if you aren’t able to find a good lawyer from a personal recommendation, online reviews are usually a good place to start. Reviews for personal injury lawyers can be found on Google Maps, Facebook, and websites dedicated to online reviews for Australian lawyers.
Step 2: Conduct Your Research
Whether you have a list of recommendations from friends or you made a list of options on your own, it is necessary to dig deeper about the firms or lawyers you’re interested in contacting. Here are some of the details you might want to look into:
- The lawyer’s years of experience, which could help you determine their knowledge and expertise.
- The lawyer’s success rate, which could help you assess the chance they could win your case. In Queensland, success rates aren’t usually able to be disclosed online so you may need to make a phone call to a lawyer to ask this question directly.
- The lawyer’s primary specialty—if the lawyer is an expert or specialises in personal injury cases, chances are they are going to achieve a much better outcome than a generalist solicitor. Different legislation governs different types of accidents, and not all personal injury lawyers know each different area.
- The lawyer’s own past clients’ feedback, which could help you gauge the satisfaction rate of the people they’ve worked for.
- Their payment system. Some firms offer a ‘no win, no fee’ policy, which means they would not charge their clients if they fail to win the case. Most of the time, no win no fee policies still don’t offer full protection from the risk that you might end up with a bill to pay at the end of a losing claim.
- The lawyer’s process for approving cases. Some firms would have a free case review where they study your case and determine if they can help you. Most firms offer the assessment for free, while others charge a consultation fee.
- The lawyer’s fee cap. Another factor you should consider is how much your lawyer’s fee cap is. Whilst in Queensland, the maximum a no win no fee lawyer can charge is 50% of the injured person’s net damages. You might even encounter lawyers asking for half of the amount you would receive in your settlement regardless of whether their time can justify it. Try to look for a firm that sets their maximum charge below 50% and ask them to confirm they will only charge by the hour and not a fixed percentage.
- The lawyer’s hourly rates. Most no win no fee personal injury lawyers will provide you with a schedule of their hourly rates. These can range from around $300 – $600 per hour and can sometimes be a case of ‘you get what you pay for’ however a lower rate doesn’t always mean that your representation will be worse.
Step 3: Believe In Your Judgement
A personal injury claim takes a long time – 12 months to 2 years is not unusual. So considering you are going to be dealing with them for a while, you should always look for a lawyer whom you feel safe and comfortable with. Remember that they should be on your side and protect you instead of making you feel uneasy. You can tell a lot about a lawyer by the way they speak with you during the first phone call or consultation.
The right lawyer should keep you involved by updating you and helping you understand everything that is happening, from the terminologies you are unfamiliar with to changes in your case’s status over time.
If you are every unhappy with your personal injury lawyer, it is also relatively easy to change lawyers.
Finding a good lawyer, especially during an emergency, can be challenging. No matter how tempting it is to settle with the first option you see, you need to remember that your compensation sum and future depend on the quality and effectiveness of the lawyer who represents you. Keep these three steps in mind, and you would find the perfect person to help you face your current struggle.
If you need a good personal injury lawyer in Brisbane, Roche Legal can help. We offer representation on a no win no fee basis with extra cost protections. We also offer a free claim review for new potential clients over the phone or in person. Call us at 1300 335 334 to learn how we can help you.