In Queensland, depending on the type of personal injury claim you are making, you are required to commence the matter by using the prescribed claim form (usually called a claim notice).
Warning: You should never attempt to complete an initial claim notice yourself. We strongly recommend that you engage a solicitor to ensure that the claim notice is completed correctly, and in a way that will help set up your claim to achieve the maximum possible compensation entitlement. Each claim form typically includes some ‘trick questions’ that should be answered very carefully.
- Motor Vehicle Accident (Resulting in Injury) – Use this form when you have been injured because of a motor vehicle accident. You could be a passenger, a pedestrian, or a not-at-fault driver. Download Form: Notice of Accident Claim Form (Non-Fatal Injury)
- Motor Vehicle Accident (Resulting in Death) – Use this form when you are a relative or dependant claiming compensation for the death of a person which occurred due to a motor vehicle accident that wasn’t their fault. Download Form: Notice of Accident Claim Form (Fatal Injury)
- Public Liability / General Negligence (Resulting in Injury) – Use this form when an injured person is claiming for an injury which was not received as a result of a medical incident (for example, injury from a slip and fall in a supermarket). Download Form: Personal Injury Form 1
- Medical Negligence (Resulting in Injury) – Use this form when you are an injured person claiming compensation for an injury received as a result of a medical incident (for example, an injury caused by a doctor during a medical procedure). Download Form: Personal Injury Form 2
- Public Liability / General Negligence / Medical Negligence (Resulting in Death) – Use this form when you are a relative or dependant claiming compensation for the wrongful death of a person, whether or not medical treatment was the cause of the death. Download Form: Personal Injury Form 3
- Workers Compensation (Workcover) – Use this form when you have been injured at work and require time off or medical treatment. You can complete and submit an online claim or Download Form: Workcover Claim Form. Please note that your employer may not be insured by Workcover Queensland and in this case you will likely need to obtain the specific insurer’s claim form.
- Workers Compensation Common Law Claim (Resulting in Injury or Death) – Use this form when your workers compensation benefits cease and you are alleging that your injury was caused by the negligence of your employer. Download Form: Form 275 Notice of Claim for Damages
Completing a valid claim notice will commence the pre-court process for your injury claim. Generally speaking, you cannot proceed to court for a trial regarding your injury claim unless and until the pre-court procedures have been followed.
Important time limits apply for each different type of claim and missing a deadline can be fatal. If you need assistance completing a personal injury claim notice, contact Roche Legal urgently to be sure your limitation dates are protected.
The claim forms on this page are current as at 8 April 2021.