The Importance of Divorce
If you are married and the relationship breaks down, it is not enough to simply separate. You must file in court for a Divorce Order (formerly called a Divorce Certificate or Decree). If you do not do this and you pass away, your ex-partner will be entitled to claim a significant part (or all) of your assets.
In order to be able to file for divorce in Australia:
- You must be an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- You must be separated for at least 12 months and 1 day.
- You must have your marriage certificate.
- Your marriage must be broken down with no reasonable likelihood that you will get back together.
- If you have been married less than two years you will need to file a counselling certificate.
ROCHE Legal offers fixed fees for filing of divorce provided you meet the criteria below: