Working visa options that require an employer

Whilst some skilled working visas don’t require employer sponsorship, there are other options available to live and work in Australia if you have a prospective employer.

The following visas are available to skilled people who have a job offer in an occupation listed on the Australian Department of Immigration’s Skilled Occupations List (SOL):

  • Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) visa (subclass 186) – Permanent Residency
    • The Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) has been developed for Australian employers to recruit permanent, highly-skilled staff from overseas or from people temporarily in Australia, when the employers have been unable to fill a vacancy from within the Australian labour market or through their own training programs.
    • An alternative steam is available if your employer is a party to a Labour Agreement. A Labour Agreement enable Australian employers to recruit (either permanently or temporarily) a specified number of workers from overseas in response to identified or emerging labour market (or skill) shortages in the Australian labour market.
    • This is a skilled working visa which offers permanent residency.
  • Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) visa (subclass 187) – Permanent Residency
    • The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) is designed to help employers in regional or low population growth areas of Australia, who are unable to fill skilled vacancies from the Australian labour market.
    • This is a skilled working visa which offers permanent residency.
  • Temporary Skill Shortage Visa (subclass 482) – Temporary Entry – Stay up to 4 years
    • The Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) visa allows employers to sponsor overseas workers to live and work in Australia on a temporary basis. This visa is designed to assist employers who are unable to meet their skilled Australian workforce needs from the local labour market. It is valid for a maximum of either two or four years, depending upon the nature of the skilled position.
    • This visa grants you a stay for up to 4 years.
    • NOTE: Different criteria apply to the Labour Agreement stream of this visa. Please contact us for further details regarding this stream.

If you do not have an occupation listed on the Skilled Occupations List (SOL), you may still be eligible for the following visas:

  • Training visa (subclass 407) – Temporary Entry – Stay up to 2 years
    • This visa allows you to take part in workplace-based occupational training activities to improve your skills for your job, area of tertiary study, field of expertise or in a professional development training program in Australia.
    • This visa grants you a stay for up to 2 years.

Contact ROCHE Legal today if you have a job offer (or sponsor) and require assistance securing your Australian Working Visa.