Australian Student Visas
Australia is known throughout the world as having a first class education system with courses recognised internationally. We can assist you in applying for a student visa (subclass 500) which allows you to live and study in the country for up to 5 years or in-line with your course enrolment. In addition, we are able to assist in areas including:
- Course enrolments
- English Language programmes
- Primary and High School studies
- Foundation studies
- Bridging courses
- Certificate and diploma courses
- University degree and Masters programmes
- Study tours
- Student settlement services (e.g. airport pickup, accommodation)
- Transitioning from a student visa holder to a permanent resident
About Student Visas
The purpose of student visas are to allow international students to undertake full-time education and training in Australia. This visa enables a student to stay in Australia for the duration of the relevant course. The student must enrol, or in some cases have a letter of offer, with an Australian education provider before lodging a visa application.
The exact requirements for this visa will depend upon the level of risk assigned to your application (the ‘Immigration Risk’), which is a combined immigration risk assessment determined by the risk rating of the education provider and your passport nationality.
As the visa applicant, you must:
- enrol with an Australian education provider as a full-time student, and obtain written confirmation of this enrolment (predominantly on-line courses are not eligible)
- genuinely intend to complete the relevant period of study in Australia
- have the required level of English language proficiency unless exempt
- have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the period of your intended stay in Australia
- have access to sufficient funds to cover your return airfares, tuition fees and the cost of living in Australia, as well as costs required for any dependents included in your application.
The exact amount of funds a student requires is set by Department of Home Affairs (DOHA), and is determined by your chosen education provider, your course of study and other personal circumstances. Please contact us for further details.
You must first be enrolled in a full-time course at an Australian education provider, and obtain written confirmation of your enrolment (CoE) from that provider. We will then prepare and lodge your visa application with the DOHA. The main criterion is that you meet the requirements referred to above, the exact nature of which will depend upon your passport nationality and the education provider requirements. You must also meet the relevant health and character requirements.
Once the DOHA has granted your visa, you may enter into (or remain in) Australia in order to undertake your course of study. Whilst studying, you must work no more than 40 hours per fortnight whilst your course is in session, and for your initial visa only commence work once your course has commenced. Different work provisions apply to higher education research Masters and Doctoral level courses please discuss with us if appropriate. You should also check the work allowance for any dependents on your application if appropriate.
PLEASE NOTE: We estimate that it may take several weeks to prepare and lodge your application, with the time taken largely dependent on how promptly you (and your sponsor, if applicable) provide us with the necessary supporting information and documents.
The time that it takes the DOHA to process your application is dependent upon its processing time service standards, and may also vary due to a number of other factors, including the complexity of your case, perceived risk factors and processing priorities. Please contact us for current information regarding likely processing timeframes for this type of application.